I'm not a huge fan of comedy; it's the kind of movie I watch the least. But here are a few I would put on the 'must own' list:
1. Bringing up Baby - w/Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant - you can't really go wrong here
2. Young Frankenstein - Mel Brooks, Gene Wilder, and a very young, sexy, Terry Garr (pop quiz: who is Terry Garr?)
3. Spaceballs - Ludicrous speed, Barf, jam - need I say more?
4. The Princess Bride - not only funny but perfect in the way so few movies are
5. Big Trouble in Little China - ok, it's more than just comedy (there's some paranormal shite going on here, too), but it is effing hilarious. Indeed!
6. Midnight Run - w/Robert Diniro and Charles Grodin, the perfect foils for one another.
7. Payback - Mel Gibson and Lucy Liu, oh yeah!
8.Bruce Almighty - I never laughed so hard at a scene as much as the news room scene with Steve Correl - except perhaps at the Staypuff Marshmellow man.
9. Ghostbusters - Bill Murray, ectoplasmic residue, cats and dogs living together, what could be better?
10. Evolution - with David Duchovny, Orlando Jones, and Sean William Scott. *
and coming soon - Monday I hope - Tag you're it. Yep, I've been tagged. And guess what? That means you might be next :)
* added late Friday night upon discovering it written on the other side of the paper on which I wrote this post. I forgot to look. duh.