Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Jupiter

I know, you're thinking, Jupiter Schmootiper, what could possibly be interesting about Jupiter? Well, let's see if we can't find something...


1. It's the largest planet in our solar system
2. It is a gas planet, which means it does not have an atmosphere but rather a build-up in pressure and density as one goes deeper towards the core
3. In 1979 Voyager I discovered Jupiter's three rings
4. Jupiter's magnetic field is 20k times more powerful than earth's
5. The Great Red Spot (below) is actually a giant spinning storm that has been observed for more than 300 years.


Want to know more about Jupiter? Click on the pic or go here :)




20 comments:

  1. How could anyone be bored of this gorgeous planet!! Yay! take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really big storm. Like a mega hurricane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a 300 year old storm.... delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always had a special place in my heart for Jupiter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love jupiter too esp. because of the name :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like a magnetic field that I could conjure at will.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cool....

    I had no idea the spot was a spinning storm....

    ReplyDelete
  8. A three hundred year old storm puts that whole "winter is coming" into perspective. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing about astronomy is boring :)

    Fun theme!

    Swinging by from A-Z http://jenelleschmidt.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jupiter is uber fascinating! And to think the purpose of those gaseous planets and their location is to keep Earth's atmosphere in check is mind boggling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What's not to love about a huge gaseous planet with epic storms? Really interesting (loved the links!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic theme for the Challenge! I absolutely love Holst's "Jupiter" from his composition "The Planets." Amazing music. :)

    Also, the header for your blog made me smile. How beautiful! Thank you for that today! :)

    Jaimie at Living in the Light
    A to Z Ambassador

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great piece of work. I wish I owned it.

      Delete
  13. I love that Jupiter is the largest planet in the universe...but it's not a bully! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't wait to see what you say about Pluto.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, man, and we thought our storms were bad.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jupiter's totally a cool planet, and I didn't even know it had rings. Now it's doubly cool! :-)

    ReplyDelete

If you're interested in my blog I'm interested in your comments.