Pages

Friday, February 28, 2014

Where the heck am I?

I'm afraid the flu paid a visit to my house last week, kicked my butt to the curb. I'm just starting to feel like myself again so I'll keep it brief. Fist off, I finished reading The Boy Who Loved Fire, by Julie Musil, and I just have to mention how impressed I was by the way Julie brought Manny's character to life, made him feel like a real boy rather than some cardboard cutout. I think one of the hardest things to do is draw a character who doesn't necessarily elicit sympathy from the reader right off and boy did Julie nail it. Second, I got Terry Lynn Johnson's Ice Dogs in the mail, and I'm equally impressed by how interesting Terry makes dog sledding sound - and this from someone who you couldn't pay to go! I love how she describes the dogs...as a dog lover and I can appreciate all the personalities. Third, I'm also reading Allegiant and so far loving it. I have no idea how it's going to pan out. Yikes! Have you read it?

Finally, I hope you'll all come back next week for First Impressions, brought to you by yours truly and Dianne Salerni, who, don't forget, has The Eighth Day coming out in April...
http://www.amazon.com/Eighth-Day-Dianne-K-Salerni-ebook/dp/B00G2AGTFC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1393544980&sr=8-2&keywords=the+eighth+day
Even better? It's book one of a series and I've had the privilege of reading book two and three, which are absolutely fabulous. I haven't loved MG this much since HP or Artemis Fowl!

No lie.

So, how have you been? Gotten sick this winter (if so, I hope you didn't get what I had - ugh!)? Read any good books lately? Looking forward to a release?

30 comments:

  1. So sorry you got the flu. Glad you liked Julie's and Terry's books. I have an ARC of The Eighth Day and have just a few books to read before I can get to it. I'm reading Ignite Me right now. It's really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you've been sick. I've been fortunate to avoid it this year.
    Julie will be happy to hear how much you liked her book. So will Terry. (Awesome cover for Ice Dogs!)
    And congratulations to Diane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Ice Dogs cover, too - it's gorgeous!

      Delete
  3. I deeply enjoyed Terry's ICE DOGS, read it in one day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying it, too - tho not reading quite as fast!

      Delete
  4. Glad you're starting to feel normal again. Being sick sucks dragon balls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the first two by Veronica Roth, but haven't read Allegiant yet. Once Divergent hits the movies.... I expect the sales to skyrocket even higher. So happy for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've really enjoyed the series.

      Delete
  6. I've been lucky to dodge the flu going around here. Right now I'm deep into H.P. Lovecraft books. Great to hear Diane's series is a smash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say enough about The Eighth Day.

      Delete
  7. I was doing great till yesterday. My loving husband has generously shared his head cold with me. Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slowly getting better, but dang it's a long haul!

      Delete
  8. Flu hit our house. I was even sick for a few days after claiming I never get the flu. My husband was knocked flat for five days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 'Ice Dogs' sounds like something I would really enjoy. Thanks for the recommend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like outdoor adventure with a tough teenage girl (sort of like Call of the Wild but add in a smart girl who happens to be a dogsledder, too) then I think you'd like this.

      Delete
  10. Hope you recover quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, feel better! and what a great review. I really want to read the 8th Day, now! and Julie's book--but I haven't read ALLEGIANT yet. Mostly, I don't have time for series, and I've just been reading the first ones in a series (in general) cuz my to-read list is atrociously long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to wait until the series is complete before jumping on board - but sometimes it's hard!

      Delete
  12. So sorry you're sick, but I guess it lets you take it easy and read a lot! Feel better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could've read more (too achy!), but I sure did watch a whole lot of Law & Order!

      Delete
  13. I haven't read any of the Roth books. I really want to though! I feel that I have way too many books on my physical shelves already though. I'm trying to get through some of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My list keeps growing, too. I think the only way I could keep up was if I made reading a full-time job.

      Delete
  14. Reading all sorts of books. Not feeling too hot. Sinus issues. Sigh.

    Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you feel better soon!

    I need to go add some books to my goodreads list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry you've been sick! Take care and feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE that cover for The Eighth Day. Very intriguing!

    ReplyDelete

If you're interested in my blog I'm interested in your comments.