Friday, July 11, 2014
Once upon a time...
1. It's a fairy tale! What could be better than that? Oh, right, a twisted fairy tale! Perfect.
2.Characters to love/hate. You gotta have them and this does, beginning with Henry (who almost makes me want more kids), Snow White (played flawlessly by Ginnifer Goodwyn and is she fucking cute as hell or what? And I mean that in a nice way, not nauseatingly cutesy cute, but cute like a kitten you must save), Prince Charming (played by Josh Dallas who is most definitely charming), and of course, the Evil Queen Regina, played silkily by Lana Parilla.
3. Lots of questions/mysteries/conflict. These, of course, keep the plot moving forward and I love how the writers twist the stories of well-known characters like Cindarella and Jiminy Cricket and then show their mirror images in the town of Storybrook (and man, I WISH there was a Storybrook, Maine because I would've sold my house and moved there years ago!).
4. The Unknown, ie, Rumplestiltskin. Mind you I'm still in Season One but I have no idea what he wants. I like unpredictable. It keeps me interested.
The Not so Good:
1. Rumplestiltskin. Although I find his character interesting and unpredictable, Robert Carlyle (or the writers) really needs to tone him down a bit - imo. And let me just state for the record I happen to like Robert Carlyle; he was awesome in Trainspotting and The Full Monty, but I think Rumple would be much more sinister if he wasn't so over the top in the fairy tale parts. He's much better as Mr. Gold in Storybook.
2. The Fairies. The scenes with the fairies are my least favorite because...well, they're just plain ridiculous, especially in the episode I recently watched where they were making like warriors and dropping fairy dust bombs. I'm sorry but, no warrior would ever wear the outfits these fairies wear and I suspect, no self-respecting fairy would either!
Do you watch Once Upon a Time? What do you think of the show?