Pages

Friday, May 15, 2015

Progress and The Ringling Museum

First off, in regards to my WIP, working title RUN, I've been fairly productive since I got back from my vacation. I finished up chapter 19, which I'd been stalled on, and wrote a whole new chapter. There's some fun stuff happening. The town got a delivery, someone unpleasant arrived with it, and my main characters have just learned that the power will be going out soon, leaving them all in the dark. Oh, and it's winter. Good times.

As for The John & Mable Ringling Museum, this was the other place we visited in Sarasota, and it was so huge we didn't have time to see everything. We focused our visit on the Circus Museum, and Ca' d'Zan, John and Mable's winter home. John Ringling, in case you didn't know, was part of the Ringling Brothers Circus, which by 1889 was large enough to need to travel by rail. There's a whole diorama of the trains and then the depot and then the circus spread out over a large area with tents for everything. It was so cool and I took lots of pics. Next week I'll show you Ca' d'Zan, but today, it's the Circus!








I'll leave you with this last pic of a monkey statue that there's no way I'd have in my house. He's wicked cool, but oh, so creepy...


Have an awesome weekend :)

13 comments:

  1. Glad you broke through the barrier - obviously the vacation was good for your creativity.
    Can you imagine setting all of those scenes up? Or seeing Ringling back during its height?
    And no, I don't want the monkey in my house either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Aren't they fantastic?! Each stage of the diorama had info about the circus and one of the plaques said how the US Army studied the Ringling Circus' strategy for moving so many people and everything they'd need to set up.

      And oh yeah, creepy monkey!

      Delete
  2. Huge fan of professional dioramas. Thanks for sharing these pictures. I never would have guessed that last one is a monkey; it kind of looks like a demonic cat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huge fan of professional dioramas. Thanks for sharing these pictures. I never would have guessed that last one is a monkey; it kind of looks like a demonic cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely demonic, and I love dioramas, too; they're so cool!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the work you've gotten done.

    Neat pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am pretty certain that the monkey would like to serve severed heads on that tray... Beyond creepy.
    Congratulations on your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg, that's EXACTLY him; I can totally see him in some horror film.

      Delete
  6. Once upon a time I was fascinated by circuses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan of circuses, per se. but I sure did enjoy the museum.

      Delete
  7. How amazing - all that detail! It never occurred to me they'd put costumes on the horses and turn them into something else - shells? roosters? Who knew? My current WIP takes place in an Eastern European traveling circus. It'll be a fun thriller if I can ever get my butt moving and write it. Good luck to you on yours! And definitely no creepy monkeys for me - he reminds me of scary Oz monkeys! Eek!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those beautiful miniatures!

    ReplyDelete

If you're interested in my blog I'm interested in your comments.