Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Jahannam

My theme for this year's A- Z Blogfest is DEATH (who I hope is like DEATH in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series): "...tall, thin (skeletal, as a matter of fact), and ALWAYS SPEAKS IN CAPITAL LETTERS. Generally shows up when you're dead, or just when he thinks you ought to be." Today we have J for Jahannam.

Jahannam is one of the names for the Islamic concept of Hell, per Wikipedia. According to the Qur'an, on the last day the world will be destroyed and all people and jinn will be raised from the dead to be judged by Allah as to whether they deserved to be sent to paradise or hell. Hell is for those who do not believe in God, have disobeyed his laws, and/or reject his messages.Suffering in hell is both physical and spiritual, and varies according to the sins of the condemned. As described in the Qur'an, Hell has seven levels (each one worse); seven gates (each for a specific group of sinners); a blazing fire, boiling water, and the Tree of Zaqqum.

The Tree of Zaqqum (2012), Artist Name:Homa. Reference Al Quran; 37 سورة الصافات - Verse 64-65 Al Quran. This tree is the food of dwellers of Hell-fire mentioned in the Quran.

Not all Muslims and scholars agree whether hell is an eternal destination or whether some or even all of the condemned will eventually be forgiven and allowed to enter paradise.


I'm guessing Hell sucks no matter what religion you practice.


Excerpt from Mort, by Terry Pratchett, in which DEATH takes on an apprentice...

[The abbot has just died] "...What's happened to the usual fellow?"

"Usual fellow?" said Mort, bewildered.

"Tall chap. Black cloak. Doesn't get enough to eat, by the look of him," said the abbot.

"Usual fellow? You mean Death? said Mort.

"That's him," said the abbot, cheerfully. Mort's mouth hung open.

"Die a lot, do you?" he managed.

"A fair bit. A fair bit. Of course," said the abbot, "once you get the hang of it, it's only a matter of practice."

 

17 comments:

  1. Hell does indeed sound decidedly unpleasant. Interesting that it is a concept which crosses religion.
    You have reminded me it is too long since last I read Mort. Off to dig it out of the shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since Islam branched off from Christianity, I'm sure their hell sucks as much as ours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Die a lot, do you?"

    I really need to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you've done nothing else with this A to Z, you've got me very interested in reading Terry Prachett's Discworld series. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right; hell has got to suck, no matter what the religion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd be interested to find out which religion has the worst hell, like with the most suffering? It might explain a lot about the people who follow it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that's the point of a hell. To keep the constituents in line.

    ReplyDelete
  8. never heard or read that term. Interesting. I love the abbot sounding so nonchalant about death

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the abbot's attitude about death, one just needs a little practice. . . Although I admit I kind of enjoyed the 'cheesy' HellBoy movies. . .Interesting facts about Death in various cultures. Hell is hell, I think it would be too hot for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like that artwork. Thank you for sharing.
    Awakening Dreams and Conquering Nightmares with a Pen
    I hope you are having a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing!
    Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I guess every religion has a hell option to make us behave. Only the furnishings differ.

    Susan Says

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to re-read Mort, I loved those books :)
    Jahannam as a word for hell got taken over into Hungarian too (I'd assume in the Turkish times). We write it Gyehenna.

    @TarkabarkaHolgy from
    The Multicolored Diary
    MopDog

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a priceless quote from "Mort".

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would agree that Hell sucks universally, regardless of the belief system. I can't imagine that there's some happy version with cotton candy and puppies out there anywhere. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. In my darkest moments of life so far, I have wondered how hell could possibly be worse than the hells we go through ourselves here on earth. The worst I can imagine--worse than torture or fire or gnashing of teeth or anything else--is the eternal repetition of your worst moments in life. That is scarier than any other hell I can imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm thinking the same, Hell, mine, yours or theirs, will suck.

    ReplyDelete

If you're interested in my blog I'm interested in your comments.