Pages

Wednesday, February 5, 2020

The Train to Somewhere - a picture of inspiration


https://www.insecurewriterssupportgroup.com/
Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds! 




February 5 question - Has a single photo or work of art ever inspired a story? What was it and did you finish it?

The awesome co-hosts for the The awesome co-hosts for the February 5 posting of the IWSG are Lee Lowery, Ronel Janse van Vuuren, Jennifer Hawes, Cathrina Constantine, and Tyrean Martinson!




This picture, which I think I saw on Elephant Child's blog, inspired a story called THE TRAIN TO SOMEWHERE, and yes, I did finish it! It is currently resting and awaiting revisions.

In other news I'm happy to say that I'm doing better in the reading department. I've finished four whole books since January 1st!

The First Salute by Barbara Tuchman

A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martin
The Ten Thousand Doors to January by Alix E. Harrow
and City of Bones by Martha Wells

I LOVED A Memory Called Empire.
I almost loved (but liked a lot!) The Ten Thousand Doors to January.
I enjoyed City of Bones.
And I learned a lot from reading The First Salute.*

I'm currently reading The Water Dancer and Artificial Condition, watching The Americans and Watchmen, and playing 7 Days to Die with my brother.  

Now, tell me, have you ever been inspired by a photo or painting in some way?


* This book was about the Revolutionary War and boy, we Americans were so lucky because, really, the Brits should've been able to defeat us. But luck and British complacency along with some help from the Dutch and then the French finally came together, resulting in a win for George and his rag tag army.

 

41 comments:

  1. I think I remember seeing that photo. It's very creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably why it inspired me, lol.

      Delete
  2. Are you enjoying "The Watchmen"? When I have some time, I want to watch it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. love Watchmen. Highly recommended.

      Delete
  3. Ooh what an amazing photo. No wonder it inspired you. Good luck with the revisions - I've no doubt it's an awesome story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's not quite awesome yet, but hopefully it will be after revisions!

      Delete
  4. I love that picture--reminds me of the Maco Light in North Carolina (and old legend). Looks like you've done some good reading. I haven't read "The First Salute" but have enjoyed a number of Barbara Tuchman's books.

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes me a while to get through her books but I always learn a ton.

      Delete
  5. I love that comment "I learned a lot from..." I know you mean historically, but I do learn a lot from books I dislike. Knowing what not to do is very valuable for a writer ;)

    I tried the first episode of Watchmen, but I wasn't sure about it. Worth it to keep going?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Do keep watching. It will finally make sense at the end of the season and you'll be like, oh, boy. I can't wait for season 2.

      Delete
  6. That photo is intriguing in the way that it draws in the eye and the imagination - I'm sure your story is really good!

    I've been inspired by photo prompts, but the first time I used a photo it was by accident - the picture just stayed in my brain and jumbled around with other ideas until I started the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had pictures inspire me before, but never to write an entire novel and finish it, I think.

      Delete
  7. I can see how that picture would inspire a story. I really enjoy seeing what you're reading. I'm reading more too. Mostly YA fantasy and adult mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also used the book Story genius to help me flesh out my idea.

      Delete
  8. I'm jealous. I want to read more. I'm lazy. Okay, maybe it's because I'm suppose to be finishing my WIP and I'm way overdue. And by the time I climb into bed at night with a good book... one paragraph and I'm snoring. Actually, my hubby says I snore, but I find that very hard to believe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so want to read the story inspired by that photo. And love that you ran with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope some day you can! Still needs a few rounds of revisions...and a home, of course.

      Delete
  10. That is a haunting photo. I read The Water Dancer. Highly recommended, not for the fantasy elements but for the gut punch of how slavery devastated families.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have several times. It's my go to... apparently. hehehe

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a fabulous photo for a prompt!! I also think your header photo is beautiful. You always have such beautiful pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning picture. I absolutely can see why it inspired you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've really seen a lot of ads for Ten Thousand Doors to January! Somebody paid a lot of monies for its marketing :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That picture has such an eerie atmosphere about it, it's easy to see how it would inspire you to write a story. Hats off to Sue for posting such an evocative picture and to you for running with it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh, I really like that picture. So mysterious, so eerie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Art has never inspired a story for me but I certainly find it inspiring. There's a Hiroshige print: Kinryuzan Temple at Asakusa. One day in Tokyo, I found myself in the middle of it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on finishing the story! I can't wait to hear where this train heads off to.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome! Happy writing *and* reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Marcy,

    So great that you are reading so much. I wish I could get through a book a week. I need to start reading more, but I have had such little time lately with all the house drama.... LONG STORY. But now that that is all over, I could get back to writing and hopefully reading! I need to finish up MK before anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think the Revolutionary War is the one I probably know the least about. I remember everything surrounding it (building of government), but not warfare in the way we learn with the other wars.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh man, it's like something is about to jump out to get me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

If you're interested in my blog I'm interested in your comments.