Pages

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Agnosticism:

an intellectual doctrine or attitude affirming the uncertainty of all claims to ultimate knowledge.

Believe me, I wish it were otherwise but I need more evidence. And yet, even without it I cannot dismiss the faith of others, which is why I waver constantly in this sea of uncertaintly. Is there a God? Surely there must be some higher intelligence that had a hand in this place we call home. It does seem suspiciously designed for more than just our survival. And then again, maybe it is all just evolution and mutation. Do we suvive death? I'm afraid not, but is it possible that that which is me (and I'm not talking about my body) could possibly be permanently extinguished? It feels...wrong. But that may only be wishful thinking, that part of all us that does not want to accept death. How I envy people who have faith in God and an afterlife, or those who are certain of another life, albeit in a different body. How I wish I wasn't afraid that my brother is right and that death is the all too swift and permanent end of life. He, at least, is certain. I, on the other hand, have nothing but questions. For example, if there is an afterlife with God (heaven, or something like it), why wouldn't He make certain we all knew it so we would be decent to one another in an effort to get in? I mean, who wants to go to Hell and burn? Or, if we do reincarnate, where do new souls come from? Are they created? From what? Where? How? And again, if that is the way, then why isn't it advertised? Don't we all want to become enlightened - well, ok, I'm not quite ready yet, still enjoying earthly pleasures and all that, but at some point I am certain I would be ready to join the ranks of those who know - ? So you see my dilemma, and, I suppose, the dilemma of all agnostics; we just don't know. We think too much. It keeps us awake at night. It worries us. And the worst of it is we may never know.

2 comments:

  1. I think one of the objections I have to the idea that "if you are bad you go to hell but if you are good or follow the master you will go to heaven..." is that doing the right thing(I believe) needs to be a free choice. You do it because it is the right thing to do NOT because of any reward.

    This is the gift of temptation and luxury.
    Does one become a highly successful wall street trader and steal money from people less intelligent and/or connected? Or do you blow the whistle knowing that altho' your career is over and the possibility of getting killed by the great money-lords is good you must do the right thing.

    Then do you go to heaven?
    It doesn't matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that free will is a given. If there is a God or Master(s) there would be little point in anyone following their teachings/path unless it was with a free will. And getting into 'Heaven' or burning in 'Hell' is surely the reward of true intent and desire, rather than soley based on action. I think it's what's in the heart that counts. Like the man who steals bread for his starving family.

    ReplyDelete

If you're interested in my blog I'm interested in your comments.