A big thank you to Ellie and Jeremy for having this blogfest. It was so much fun coming up with these cuz I love movies. My family has so many quotes from all kinds of movies memorized we could practically converse on quotes alone! Ok, slight exaggeration. But I had a blast with this – as those of you know who played the tiny little contest :)
Anyway, here are my quotes, chosen in part because I actually do use these quotes in daily life. For example, if we were having a family gathering and I was serving dessert to my brother J, I might let him see it and say, “You want this?” (see #8). Warning, expletives ahead (hey, I wasn’t called trash mouth in high school for nothing).
1. “Somebody got to the blood.” Doc (Richard Dysart) says this in John Carpenter’s The Thing, one of my all-time favorite scifi movies.
2. “Excuse me, did IQs suddenly drop while I was away?” Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) says this to some stupid bureaucrat who doesn’t believe her story, in Aliens, directed by James Cameron.
3. “I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I’d rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!” said by Garry played by Donald Moffat. The Thing again. I love this movie. I could watch it over and over. Oh, right. I do watch it over and over.
4. “Oh, yeah? Then why are you following me?” The Empire Strikes Back, the best of the three in my opinion. Irvin Kershner directed. Han Solo (Harrison Ford) says it to Princess Leia. “You must unlearn what you have learned.” Yoda says this. “Surrender is a perfectly acceptable alternative in extreme circumstances!” C3PO (Anthony Daniels) bravely says this.
5. “I suggest a new strategy; let the Wookie win.” C3PO, brave AND diplomatic. Star Wars/George Lucas.
6. “You’ve got to be fucking kidding.” Palmer, played by David Clennon, says this when he sees the alien spidery thing that has grown out of his dead friend’s head as it tries to escape. The Thing, last one I promise.
7. “Is there a problem with the earth’s gravitational pull?” Christopher Lloyd exquisitely playing Doc Emmett Brown in Back to the Future.
8. “Do you know what she did, your cunting daughter?” The Exorcist, said by the demon in Regan, played by Linda Blair. This was directed by William Friedkin and based on the book by Peter Blatty. I think it’s probably the scariest movie I’ve ever seen.
9. “You want this?” This is where Luke almost caves to the dark side. The Emperor (Ian McDiarmid who was also in Gorky Park) says this in a tempting (but darkly creepy) way in Return of the Jedi, directed by Richard Marquand.
10. “Thanks for the ride, lady.” Uttered by Tom Wright, as the hitchhiker, in Creepshow 2. Michael Gornick directed. Stephen King (stories), George Romero (screenplay).
Whew! I think I’m taking tomorrow off!