Today I am very happy to have Krystalyn Drown here to answer some questions about her book, Legasea, which was just released. I had the pleasure of reading this before publication and I truly enjoyed it. I’d never read about selkies and to be honest, didn’t have much interest – until I started reading her story. Legasea got my attention from page one and held it until the very end. I highly recommend it!
When sixteen-year-old Aileen Shay sees a dead girl floating in the bay during a midnight yacht party, she never imagines Jamie Flannigan, her new boyfriend, may be involved. The only thing she knows about Jamie is that he personifies the one thing she has been drawn to her entire life - the ocean. But as she grows closer to him, she realizes he knows more about the murder than he's telling. When another girl is attacked, and Jamie refuses to answer her questions, Aileen searches for answers on her own. Aileen learns that Jamie's family belongs more to myths and legends than they do in the real world. They are selkies, and after the Flannigans threaten her family, Aileen suspects they are responsible for both attacks. But they aren't the only ones in her small fishing town who can keep a secret. As Aileen uncovers the truth about the murder, the selkies, and her own family, she learns why her soul is bonded to the sea. But with that revelation comes a choice - to permanently sever her connection with the water, which comes at a painful cost, or embrace a legacy that just might get her killed.
And now, for the questions…
1. Where did the idea for LEGASEA come from and how long did it take from start to publication?
Years ago, my mom introduced me to the movie The Secret of Roan Inish. I knew about selkies before then, but that's where I really fell in love with them.
I wrote the synopsis in Dec 2010. I began the first draft in June 2011, finished the final draft in Jan 2012, and signed the contract in Sept 2012. Then the book was released Jan 2013. So, it was just over two years.
2. I loved that movie! What a great inspiration. Did you model Aileen after anyone in the movie or was she an amalgamation? What about Jamie?
Aileen wasn't modeled after any one person or character. Of course there are aspects of myself in her, like always, but she does some things I would never do. Jamie came from a picture I had in my mind. His name came from the movie though.
3. What made you decide to go with Curiosity Quills publishing?
I really like the community. They're very welcoming and supportive.
4. That’s important. What has been the hardest part of the process? The easiest? And, can I just add that I love the cover for LEGASEA; it’s pretty!
The hardest part was waiting once I had done everything I had to do. The easiest part was okaying the cover at first glance. I absolutely love the colors.
5. Oh yeah, waiting is usually the hardest part, lol. Do you have a cheering section?
I do. I have my sister, who has read and loved everything I've ever read, even when it was terrible. My family, in general, is very supportive of me. I have my wonderful critique partners and a few friends who cheer me on as well.
Lucky you to have a family that is so supportive! Now for the easy part…
6. What do you love about where you live? Hate?
I live in the Orlando area. I love the fact that my son has been able to visit Disney World so often. He loves it there. I hate the lack of seasons and the traffic. Orlando is not very well planned out, so during busy times of the year, you can't get anywhere.
7. My mom lives about 45 minutes away from you so I hear you about the seasons – or lack thereof! How about the best vacation you ever had?
Driving up to the Sequoia National Forest. The nights were so peaceful there, the stars were amazing, and the trees took my breath away.
8. Sounds lovely :) Did you ever play an instrument and if so what?
I have a piano and a guitar. Can I play them? Just barely.
9. Ha! I always wanted to play the piano… If you could visit one imaginary place where would you go?
Anywhere as long as there are unicorns.
10. Unicorns, huh? Not selkies? Okay, last question, what were the last three books you read?
Doctor Who: A Fairytale Life (graphic novel), The Wanderer by Sharon Creech, The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith
I haven’t read any of those books; I’ll have to check them out – thanks! And thanks so much for stopping by and answering all my questions. I really loved Legasea :)