Pages

Monday, May 18, 2015

Ca' d'Zan

I am happy to report that I'm on to Chapter 21 of RUN, in which there will be a town meeting and the unpleasant person who recently arrived will be touted a hero - much to my main characters' dismay...

If anyone is remotely interested, the first chapter is available to read in my static pages beneath my header.

But I suspect that what you really want to hear about is Ca' d'Zan, which I mentioned on Friday as John and Mable Ringling's winter home. John Ringling, in case you forgot, was part of the Ringling Brothers Circus. He and his wife chose the site of their home because it reminded them of the lagoon of their favorite city. The name of the house is Venetian for House of John.

"Cà d'Zan in 2007". Licensed under CC BY 3.0 via Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:C%C3%A0_d%27Zan_in_2007.jpg#/media/File:C%C3%A0_d%27Zan_in_2007.jpg


Inside looking out - God, don't you love the stained glass...




The ice box, I think.


The Range


I wouldn't mind this sink in my kitchen...


The servants' stairs


Sadly there was a chain preventing people from going down (we might be idiots and jump off and drown ourselves, after all), but this was the dock...ayay...




And that's me, enjoying a bit of sun on that fabulous patio.

39 comments:

  1. That's the dock? Wow. Such a unique home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a cool house. And you look like you're having fun in the sun. Important to do sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. The house is awesome. Love Mable's bedroom and the giant living room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, the living room was to die for.

      Delete
  4. I've no idea how I'd translate RUN as a title :) Does it mean to run as an infinitive verb or something else?

    ReplyDelete
  5. They were really into vibrant colors at that house (though that makes total sense for a circus person, right?). Those windows are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a sink like that. It's been sitting outside in a junk pile for thirty years. Sure wish I could send it to you. Along with the stand sink and clawfoot bathtub.
    Wonder what FedEx charges for about six hundred pounds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could sell that sink in our shop for a pretty penny.

      Delete
  7. Love those windows and that house.
    But they fade into insignificance in comparison to the drama and tension in Chapter One of Run. More please.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on chapter 21.
    What a beautiful home. Something to think about for an up coming book perhaps. My character's might get to live someplace grand, but I'm pretty sure I never will.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine living somewhere like that either, but...you never know...

      Delete
  9. Oooh, pretty. I love visiting fine homes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the house, and you look great. I wonder how far away Sarasota is (I live in Jacksonville). I enjoy visiting interesting houses. The colors in their house make me feel good.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it was almost a two hour ride to Sarasota from Sanibel, and Jacksonville is probably at least another two from Sarasota, maybe more, so...long ride.

      Delete
    2. I don't do well on long car rides. Back pain.

      Delete
  11. I love your pictures! What a beautiful home!! And that patio is amazing.

    Congrats on getting through Chapter 21! It's always a good feeling when you hit a milestone, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and holy cow that patio was super amazing. It must have cost a fortune.

      Delete
  12. Wow, what a gorgeous house. I would be fascinated with the ice box and the stove, because I love looking at outdated appliances. Never know when I'll need to describe them in a historical manuscript. Great selfie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way about old appliances and houses decorated for a particular era. So fascinating.

      Delete
  13. Wow, that window. Holy cow, great shot. And that range ... I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, to spend a weekend there, wake up to water brushing the dock, wander those gorgeous rooms, sit on the patio and soak in a blazing sunset! And you look great enjoying the sun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely and I can only imagine living in a house like that.

      Delete
  15. Wow! Fabulous images!! That stained glass is glorious! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adored the stained glass windows.

      Delete
  16. What a wonderful house! It's especially nice that they let you take pictures inside of it.

    LOVE your first chapter of "Run."

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely! I do love that stained glass, very cool. What a great atmosphere in that house and the grounds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It must've been a fabulous winter home and oh, boy that stained glass is killer.

    ReplyDelete

If you're interested in my blog I'm interested in your comments.