Pages

Monday, August 29, 2016

Monhegan Island






I finally got to visit Monhegan Island, a week or so ago (thanks to my sister), even though it's located in the same damn county and I've been here (in Maine) for over 20 years now. Anyway, here's the facts: Monhegan Island is a plantation in Lincoln County, Maine, United States, about 12 nautical miles off the mainland. The plantation comprises its namesake island and the uninhabited neighboring island of Manana.The island is accessible by scheduled boat service from Boothbay Harbor, New Harbor, and Port Clyde.

We left from new harbor as it's only 20 minutes away from my house and as soon as we boarded the Hardy Boat the captain announced there were rough seas ahead (seas of 6-7 feet). Perfectly safe mind you, but for anyone with a queasy stomach, well...they might want to take another trip. Quite a few people got off the boat. We did not, and chose to ride above in the fresh air. And yup, it was bouncy. You needed to hold on to something. Luckily I don't get sea sick (or haven't yet, knock on wood) so I thought it was kinda fun. Like a ride at an amusement park. But there were a few people who got sick, and when we got to shore one poor woman just curled up on the one of the benches.

We hiked along the shore and here are a few pics...















Very few people live there year round but lots of people visit and rent houses for the summer. Artists love the place as do birders. I loved the trails and the views. Talk about dramatic. Those last three pics are just a few I took of the same spot, and when I look at them consecutively I can see the way the ocean moves, the sea rolling in and up against those rocks, spray flying, water crashing...

It was a good day.



30 comments:

  1. You took some amazing shots. Great place to explore. Not sure about the bouncy boat ride but I think I could've handled it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful pictures! Looks like you had a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures! It looks like a place I would love to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great place to visit; I'd love to go back for a weekend.

      Delete
  4. Glad you had fun. Sadly, I would have gotten sea sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, that's too bad. I feel fortunate I am not afflicted. Yet anyway!

      Delete
  5. I don't get seasick as long as I'm in the fresh air on deck. That looks like a great place to spend the summer and write. Is it expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, it would be a fab place to write. No cars except for a couple trucks that haul people's stuff from the dock to wherever they're staying, no tarred roads, and lots of paths and views and the smell of the sea all around you. Probably pretty expensive.

      Delete
  6. It looks amazing. Sadly I am a puker, but sometimes it is worth it. (One day on my trip to Antarctica it took four injections to stop me, and yes, it WAS worth it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I was a puker I don't think I would've attempted the trip, not on that day, cuz it was VERY bouncy. Even people who normally don't get sick did, poor things.

      Delete
  7. Amazing how hard it is to get to an island that's close by, isn't it? (Catalina Island is close, but I've only been a couple times.) Glad you didn't get seasick. If you can take choppy water, you can take anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I didn't get seasick, too. I felt bad for the woman curled up on the bench.

      Delete
  8. Spectacular. We haven't explored Maine much. Someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful state and I live an extra beautiful place :)

      Delete
    2. No doubt. I would happily explore the coast, visiting a string of lobster shacks.

      Delete
  9. Wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy crap, those pics are astounding!!!!!!!

    Love.

    (And glad to be back... been a while... missed your blog) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like a wonderful day! Your pictures are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fabulous day. Hopefully I can go back again soon!

      Delete
  12. Looks and sounds amazing. I'd probably be a all-year-rounder if I had a house there :) And more than likely be one of the grumpy islanders who gets irritated at the summer vacation people - LOL!!!! Super post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet the year rounders do get a bit annoyed and are glad when summer is over. But it would be hard to live there year round. Getting supplies is no easy task and without cars, everything has to be carried by hand unless you have a wagon or something. Also, very expensive. But what a wonderful place to visit!

      Delete
  13. Oh, those pictures made me homesick for the ocean. We often vacationed in Maine when I was a kid. The midwest is nice but...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I could live very far from the sea...

      Delete
  14. Lovely photos. I've read stores set near the Maine coastline and outer islands but don't hold hope of ever visiting.

    Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beautiful place to visit and live :)

      Delete
  15. Gorgeous! I'm looking forward to an seaside vacation soon. Wish I lived nearer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the only place I might want to live that isn't near the sea is California. The weather there beats Maine by a long shot, lol.

      Delete

If you're interested in my blog I'm interested in your comments.