Pages

Monday, July 17, 2017

Reading List

So far I'm reading more books this year than last year, which totaled a pathetic eight. This year I've read nine so far, among them:



  1. We were Liars by E. Lockhart
  2. Denton Little‘s Deathdate by Lance Rubin
  3. The Girl from Everywhere by Heidi Heilig
  4. Bone Clocks by David Mitchell
  5. Enchanted, Inc. by Shanna Swendson
  6. Pretty Girls by Karen Slaughter
  7. What the Dead Know by Laura Lippman
  8. Armada by Ernest Cline
  9. Thunderstruck by Erik Larson


I am still reading the following books: 

The Great North Road by Peter Hamilton 84% complete – just haven’t been able to connect with this story much as I love the author 

The lies of Locke Lamora Book 1 by Scott Lynch 30% – The mc is so clever and about to pull off something really big and I am sure somehow it’s all going to go wrong and I really need to find out but I’m afraid… 

The Geneva Project by Christina Benjamin 58% – Truth – This reads like a good first draft. I want to know what happens, but I see a lot of problems with the manuscript 

The Wolf’s Hour by Robert R. McCammon 50% - Still not invested the story or mc *sigh*



Waiting to be read: 

The Immortality Game by Ted Cross

The Raven Cycle #3 Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater
The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu
The Mermaid’s Sister by Carrie Anne Noble
Cress by Marissa Meyer
Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption by Bryan Stevenson
Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
The First Salute by Barbara Tuchman

And finally, the latest book to make it onto my wish list:

Meddling Kids: A Novel (A Blyton Summer Detective Club Adventure) by Edgar Cantero


SUMMER 1977. The Blyton Summer Detective Club (of Blyton Hills, a small mining town in Oregon’s Zoinx River Valley) solved their final mystery and unmasked the elusive Sleepy Lake monster—another low-life fortune hunter trying to get his dirty hands on the legendary riches hidden in Deboën Mansion. And he would have gotten away with it too, if it weren’t for those meddling kids.

1990. The former detectives have grown up and apart, each haunted by disturbing memories of their final night in the old haunted house. There are too many strange, half-remembered encounters and events that cannot be dismissed or explained away by a guy in a mask. And Andy, the once intrepid tomboy now wanted in two states, is tired of running from her demons. She needs answers. To find them she will need Kerri, the one-time kid genius and budding biologist, now drinking her ghosts away in New York with Tim, an excitable Weimaraner descended from the original canine member of the club. They will also have to get Nate, the horror nerd currently residing in an asylum in Arkham, Massachusetts. Luckily Nate has not lost contact with Peter, the handsome jock turned movie star who was once their team leader . . . which is remarkable, considering Peter has been dead for years. (courtesy of Amazon)

So, what have you been reading? Is there a book you've been reading for waaaay too long?




 

22 comments:

  1. Meddling Kids - can you say Scooby-Doo's gang?
    Lies of Locke Lamora is an excellent book. He's a great writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely an ode, of sorts, to Scooby et al (Zoinx River lol).

      Delete
  2. That's wonderful that you have read that much this year alone. Your reading list is impressive. I am currently reading 'The Invention of Wings' by Sue Monk Kidd. Warm greetings and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read The Secret Life of Bees a long time ago. It was very good.

      Delete
  3. Yes, I don't read as much as I used to either. But at least I'm reading like you. I just finished Option B, which is a good book about rebuilding your life after tragedy, like losing a spouse. Am reading After the Storm by Linda Castillo, a great mystery. Hoping to read some YA soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check those out; they both look like good reading :)

      Delete
  4. I haven't read Thunderstruck, but the other books I've read by Lawson have been great. I haven't heard of the Final Salute, which I found out was Barbara Tuchman's last book. I have enjoyed a number of her earlier books and this one will go on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meddling Kids sounds amazing.
    Despite my love of him, Neil Gaiman's 'View from the Cheap Seats' has been partially completed on my bedside table for too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I really want to read it. A lot! I loved The Graveyard Book but haven't been able to love anything else of Gaiman's as much.

      Delete
  6. That looks like a great list! I have a few books on my Goodreads "currently reading" list that are back at the library because I didn't finish them - oops. I picked up a biography of George Lucas at the library that I thought looked awesome and I'm still in the second chapter so I think that one is going to be unfinished and turned back in the way it is. I'm currently reading a non-fiction book that I like (Mindshifts) and a short story anthology that I'm less fond of that I picked up at a used book store last weekend (will not name the book).
    Hope you like Six of Crows - my daughter and I did. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes have trouble with non-fiction as it tends to be less compelling. Definitely looking forward to Six of Crows

      Delete
  7. Quite the list. I spent three days reading Third Daughter by Susan Kaye Quinn (I was lying low due to a migraine). So worth it. (Steampunk with an Indian flair.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that "Meddling Kids" sounds like a fun read. Thanks for sharing this list! So many to check out. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I usually burn through books in the summer but it's been slow going this year. Busy with other things. I suppose that's good overall but reading time is quality time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to burn through books but the last two years I haven't been a great reader. Trying to do better this year.

      Delete
  10. I hear a lot of readers did not like Bardugo's Crows. Luckily, other translator got that from my editor :) but we got her Wonder Woman as a teen book too. I'm not doing that one either, I will probably do Batman as a teen from Marie Lu, sadly :( I hate Batman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'll definitely post a review once I've read it. Sorry you're stuck with Batman :(

      Delete
  11. I generally read about a hundred books a year, but I don't have any idea how close to being on target I am at present.

    Surprisingly, our reading lists only have one overlap... "Pretty Girls." I just finished "Wives of War" by Soraya Lane, which follows three military nurses during WWII, and immediately began reading Tawna Fenske's newest release. (She writes sexy romantic comedies.)

    Have a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever read 100 books in a year! Wow! I've heard of Tawna Fenske, but haven't read anything by her yet.

      Delete

If you're interested in my blog I'm interested in your comments.