Pages

Monday, February 19, 2018

Arrow

Today I thought I would tell you about a show I've been watching called Arrow. This show is into its 5th season so you may well have seen it. If so, I'd love to hear what you thought. I've only watched the first season so I have no idea whether the show will continue to hold my interest, but for now, I'm heading into Season Two.


The premise of the show is this: richy rich playboy Oliver Queen comes home to Starling City after being missing for five years following the sinking of his father's boat. All hands were lost, including his father and his girlfriend's sister who he was sleeping with on the sly. Before dying, his father tells him he has to right his wrongs. Oliver doesn't know what this means at first but then he finds a notebook with a list of names, people who his father did business with. When he arrives home, he discovers that a lot of the names don't belong to very nice people. Enter Arrow...

What I like about this show: Besides the obvious (I pretty much like all justice seeking comic book heroes), I liked the way Oliver's character develops. You know right away that he has been through hell on the island, and that it has changed him. But he can't share how, and at first tries to pretend he's the same old carefree rich boy. He has to figure out how to be the new version of himself as well as how to become Arrow. I also loved Diggle, the bodyguard he ditches too many times and then recruits to his cause and I especially loved the flashbacks to the island where we learn how it changed him. Where did he get these mad skills? What did he have to do to survive? I find this back story especially compelling and I like the way it's being doled out. Finally, there's Mrs. Queen, Oliver's mother, who is more layered than some of the other female characters, and the detective, played by Paul Blackthorn (who was once Harry Dresden on the Dresden Files - in case you wanted to know...), whose task it is to find and bring down the vigilante known as the hood.

What I don't like: every single woman seems to almost always be exceedingly well-dressed and made up. Lots of high heels, too much shiny red/hot pink lipstick. I like Felicity, but her character needs some deepening and less lipstick. I found Thea (Oliver's sister), to be a bit annoying at times, especially the way she was able to waltz into clubs and drink and drug even though she's still in high school, and Laurel, the girl he cheated on, her character also bothers me for some reason, besides the too much makeup thing.

Bonus: there's something about the show that's inspiring my writing,which makes it even more fun to watch.

Have you seen Arrow? Have a favorite comic book hero?



21 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are enjoying it. I'm a DC fan, but so far the television shows have not lived up to expectations. I couldn't get into Arrow I'm afraid. Supergirl turned into a train wreck and what was my favorite, The Flash, has simply gone off the rails. I might've enjoyed them more, but after one season of Legion, I'm jaded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not perfect, by any means. I'd give it a B, whereas I'd give Jessica Jones an A.

      Delete
  2. I have not watched Arrow and I'm not one for comic books per se; however, I LOVE Marvel movies. My faves are Captain America, the Winter Soldier, Thor and Loki. And I have a thing for the Black Widow too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never got into the comics themselves either but I like a lot of the shows and movies. I like Captain America, too but I haven't seen winter soldier yet.

      Delete
  3. I thought they were in season 6. Last season we finished with Oliver's last year on the island (well not on the island, but spoilers), and this season we don't have those flashbacks any more.

    So, yes, I'm watching Arrow. And it's undergone a few changes. Oliver grows as a character. And if I say any more, I'll give away more spoilers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the no spoilers :) I've started season 2...

      Delete
  4. My daughter and I binge watched the Flash series (haven't started the latest season yet) so I've met Arrow n the crossovers but haven't watched the show itself. We do plan to eventually, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about the Flash next, or Dare Devil...

      Delete
  5. I haven't watched it but there is always something extremely attractive about green archers! I much prefer them to swords and guns type of heroes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does look rather attractive in his leathers...ahem.

      Delete
  6. Started off keen on this, then just stopped watching - I don't watch much TV anyway, so it needs to stay good to keep me. Think the make-up got to me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the too much make up is a bit much. Thus far the island subplot is keeping me coming back.

      Delete
  7. Hi Marcy,

    I haven't checked it out .... haven't watched much TV at all, been on a reading binge.... Actually really enjoying it after so many years "not" reading.... Hope all is well and you are surviving the winter all right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am well and looking forward to my Sanibel vaca in two weeks!!! yeeha!

      Delete
  8. I haven't seen this show, but that's not surprising as I'm not much of a TV person. However, my favorite comic character is Alfred E. Newman...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, mad magazine. I don't watch a lot of tv, usually only one night a week, but I'll rip through a few episodes on that night. Gotta love netflix.

      Delete
  9. And I thought we watched little television. One night a week? Good for you. And anything that inspires writing is a good thing. I'm not a big super hero fan, though this similarity to Batman tells me it would be of interest. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My daughter and I have just recently started in on Agents of SHIELD. It might be a while before we work our way around to the DC Universe shows but I have heard excellent things about Arrow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of our sons is a big fan of this show, but we've kinda watched only one episode. (I say "kinds" because Smarticus and I were both doing other things at the same time. TV is more of a background noise for us most of the time.)

    I LOVE your description of the show, though. The line about the characters needed more deepening and less lipstick cracked me up. However the show is inspiring your writing... that's gotta be a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you posted this. I've been thinking about starting the series. Now I have some reviews to help me make a decision.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Cash Loan?
    Unsecured Loan
    Fast and Simple Loan?
    Quick Application Process?
    Approvals within 24-72 Hours?
    No Hidden Fees Loan?
    Funding in less than 1 Week?
    Get unsecured working capital?
    Email us:urgentloan22@gmail.com
    Application Form:
    =================
    Full Name:................
    Loan Amount Needed:.
    Purpose of loan:.......
    Loan Duration:..
    Gender:.............
    Marital status:....
    Location:..........
    Home Address:..
    City:............
    Country:......
    Phone:..........
    Mobile / Cell:....
    Occupation:......
    Monthly Income:....
    Email us (urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete

If you're interested in my blog I'm interested in your comments.