Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2018

Sunday Pics - Leu Gardens and my new favorite artist

I recently went to Florida to visit my mom and while there we went to Leu Gardens (one of our favorite places), and the Museum of Art in Orlando where I discovered my new favorite artist. But first the gardens. Because, well, flowers.

If you haven't noticed it by now, let me make it clear. I adore flowers and gardens. I could take pictures of them forever, because even a bad picture of a flower can be beautiful. And the colors...oh my! Flowers stun me with their fabulous colors. If only I had a green thumb to go along with my love...

Anyway. Leu Gardens, which was exceedingly hot and humid, but still lovely...

This is a darling little cottage on the property where a black cat was being fed on the front step.

The roses had long since gone by for the most part, but I did manage to find a few that were blooming




Love this cool bird house, though I don't think it's actually a bird house. My boss said butterfly house which makes sense since this was in the 'butterfly garden' but I never knew butterflies needed houses.

No idea what this flower is but wow. Is it not fabulously gorgeous?!




My new favorite artist. Jon Muth. I love him.


Dust Devils.

This is not Jon Muth. I recognized it immediately as a Ralph Blakelock because we have one of his paintings at the pawn shop where I work. I love him, too.

There was more, as you can imagine, but the only other artist I'll tell you about is Nick Cave. Some of his 'sound suits' were on display, and there was a video of a person in one of his suits, moving. The image was then doubled, or mirrored, creating a 42 minute film. I couldn't find a link to what I saw, which was mesmerizing, but this short clip gives you an idea and there are a few brief bits showing parts of the video. It's the black and white one, a bit like a Rorschach image.



So. Wow, right? Lot's of cool stuff to digest. I also read FOUR books, which I will be telling you about in future posts, and saw a movie I can't review without giving anything away but must recommend: A Simple Favor. That's all I'll say.

Enjoy your Sunday!

24 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a fab time in Florida! I never knew that butterflies needed houses either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting video snippet. I like Nick Cave. Butterfly houses are a myth to sell stuff to suckers, though they can look pretty. Guess who once spent hard earned money on one? Heh... All it attracted were small wasps. That purple bloom is called passion flower, or Passiflora. I once planted it, but that part of our property got overrun by weeds and junk trees from a neighboring field. ~sigh~ Glad you had a good time. Nice artwork! Thank you for sharing, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Passiflora. I'm going to remember that now!

      Delete
  3. His stuff is stylish and down to earth with a little whimsy.
    Glad you had a good visit with your mom in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good pictures, I can almost smell them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had an awesome time. Great pics to show for it, too. I never heard of Jon Muth, but those examples of his work are terrific. I love the whimsy in them. That video is cool, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should've seen the video at the museum. It was hypnotic and very restful

      Delete
  6. lovely roses and lovely lil' cottage! My tomcat has a blackcat called Snezhana, she is kinda his slave :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cottage was soooo adorable. I told my mom I want to live there.

      Delete
  7. Wow indeed! You always have the loveliest photos!!!
    I've never seen artwork by Jon Much before but I agree - these are terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! And I'd never heard of Jon Muth before either. I'm glad to have discovered him!

      Delete
  8. Pretty flowers. Sounds like it was a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like that Ralph Blacklock painting... The flowers are also nice, but sometimes here it can be too hot and humid to enjoy them.

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Ralph Blakelock's work. And yes, the heat and humidity can be a drag. It was pretty hot the day we went to the gardens, too hot really even for me, and I like hot!

      Delete
  10. I also love flowers. We tend to visit gardens in our travels - so nice. Thanks for sharing the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love visiting gardens. I never tire of it.

      Delete
  11. Hi, Marcy,

    Geez sorry I missed you in Florida, but I am still up here in Chicago. I leave next month. Like you, I LOVE flowers. Now I am lucky to have a bit of outdoor space in both my condos. YAY.

    Let me know if you visit your mom this winter, I'd love to see you again. Enjoy the fall,I am sure it is SPECTACULAR in Maine around this time of year with all the Fall foliage. I'm lucky to face a small park, so I am totally enjoying the changing leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely let you know. It would be great to see you too! And tho the colors have gone by they were spectacular, especially on my ride home from the airport. I was amazed at how pretty it was.

      Delete
  12. I love your flower shots. I love that you love flowers. How positive to welcome the beauty around you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. yes, violet flower (white in the middle) is fabulously gorgeous.....

    ReplyDelete

If you're interested in my blog I'm interested in your comments.