Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Just One Damn Thing After Another



I thought it was kind of a silly title for a book, until I read this: "History is just one damned thing after another." -Arnold Toynbee. Which makes the title perfect, because that is essentially what happens to the main character of this book and her colleagues, historians who go back to to observe major events and return to tell about it.

One reviewer had this to say: "The title unfortunately describes the way this book is plotted. Things happen, and they are sort of loosely slung-together, with very little sense of time passing (at one point the protagonist notes she's known another character for five years, and I genuinely thought only a single year had passed since their meeting at the beginning of the novel) and with absolutely no character development."

In part I agree, especially as to the time passing more quickly than I realized, and to the character development. No one is especially changed by the end of the book. But. It was FUN!!! So fun I've ordered the second book and plan on enjoying that as well.

Apparently, there are quite a few books in this series so I am not the only one who loved this book. The main character is smart, witty, and brave. Some of her colleagues are awesome. Some are assholes (like any job, right?), and some are worse, as we come to find out.

And then of course there's the history part, which was wicked fun, too. I mean who doesn't like dinosaurs!!!

Final thoughts: If you like history, mad-cap adventures, dinosaurs, time-travel, the library at Alexandria, you'll probably like this book.


22 comments:

  1. Fun is good. It'll make up for other flaws. But if this is a series, I wonder if the MC will make significant changes by the end of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know but I'll let you know if I find out...

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a great read! I love history. How cool would it be to be able to go back and watch firsthand how things went down? Except for the Salem witch trials. I think that would make me sad and mad at the same time. Love this cover, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to go back and observe! As long as it was safe...which was not entirely the case in this book!

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure I'd enjoy this book, but the title sounds a lot like my life!

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. A little slice of crazy life. Might be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that title pretty much sums up my life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Must be good if you want to read more. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did and I'm looking forward to the next installment :)

      Delete
  7. This does sound fun. I put it in my little black notebook of books I want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And, there's not a thing wrong with pure fun! Time travel is hit/miss for me but this does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm intrigued. And to be honest, I thought the title was amusing before the explanation. :) Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do recommend it. Love to hear what you thought if you do!

      Delete
  10. Sometimes, being a fun read is more than enough. Not every book has to be the "best" in all ways.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so right. Nor does a book have to be best in all ways to do well. I believe there are 8 books so far...

    ReplyDelete

If you're interested in my blog I'm interested in your comments.