Pages

Sunday, June 23, 2019

Books, vacation pics, and an addendum


Since the last time I posted about books, I've read five more, bringing my total to 13, which isn't horrible, but not very impressive either. At any rate, here they are along with my thoughts...

1. Cut and Run by Mary Burton - 
Twin sisters separated at birth are reunited thanks to a murder that leads to a whole more




 













I enjoyed this book and if you like crime stories that aren't about serial killers this might be for you. 

2. Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neall Hurston –
"Hurston's use of dialect enraged other African American writers such as Wright, who accused her of pandering to white readers by giving them the black stereotypes they expected. Decades later, however, outrage has been replaced by admiration for her depictions of black life, and especially the lives of black women. In Their Eyes Were Watching God Zora Neale Hurston breathes humanity into both her men and women, and allows them to speak in their own voices." --Alix Wilber*





 












I enjoyed this story as well, and especially loved Janie, the main character, and her search for good love. It was also interesting to read about the town of Eatonville, the first incorporated all-black city in the nation as well as the home of the author.


3. Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs - book 3 in the series







 










I very much enjoyed this book, having read the first two, and loved the horrible town, Sharon the ferryman, and Addison the talking dog (he's awesome).


4. Ancillary Justice by Anne Lecke - 








 










This is my favorite of the five I read. The best kind of scifi, ie, the kind that makes you think. Lecke reminds me a bit of Ursula LeGuin and that is high compliment indeed. Even better? It's a trilogy, so I still have two more books to enjoy.


5. Cold Waters by Debbie Herbert - 


















This was another 'crime' story, focusing on two sisters, one who has been away in psychiatric facility since her best friend disappeared, and two, the sister left behind to deal with the aftermath. When sister number one comes home all the skeletons come out. I enjoyed it as much as Cut and Run. 

Now to vacation pics, of which there are few. It was very warm in Florida, in the 80s, and humid, but also very rainy so we never got to the gardens. However, there were some nice things growing on my mum's porch...







In order: Bromancia getting ready to bloom, Mandavilla likewise, Red Salvia (allegedly), unknown, a rose after the rain, and wandering chickens!

Last but not least, an addendum: To be clear, the neighbors across the street fall into the good neighbors category. Yes, the dogs barking are annoying, and yes the dad's swearing doesn't help but oh my, it could be so much worse don't you think? And who knows about the sawdust garden. Whatever. If he wants a sawdust garden who am I to question his taste? I have a pink metal flamingo in my geranium on the porch. So. 

Hope everyone has a lovely Sunday and a great week!

40 comments:

  1. I will read "3. Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs - book 3 in the series."....

    Have a wonderful day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great vacation pics! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're welcome and thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the reminder about the Miss Peregrine series. And for tempting me with some of the others.
    Love those garden pictures, and glad that your neigbour is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great series. I'm looking forward tot he next book A Map of Days :)

      Delete
  4. Always love seeing what you are reading. And I need to start the Miss Peregrine series too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love to hear what you think of it if you read it!

      Delete
  5. You know, there are all sorts of people who never read books. So, 13 books so far this year isn't bad. It's way ahead of them. It's not like there's going to be a test at the end of the year ;)

    Sorry the weather was bad for your trip. I wilt in the heat, too. Especially humidity. But I bet it was great to see your mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just not great for me. I used to read at least three books a month. The weather wasn't horrible. Just rainy, and we still had fun :)

      Delete
  6. Ah, you read about my girl Janie in Their Eyes Were Watching God. I love that book.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the only book I know of with a heroine who has my name, and the other Janie and I both love words.

      Delete
  7. I haven't liked many of the Hugo or Nebula winning books, but I'll download a sample of that one and check it out.
    Sorry you got rained on but the South has had a lot of rain the past few months.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read "Their Eyes Were Watching God" many, many years ago and quite frankly, don't remember anything about it. I read the first Miss Peregrine's book but thought the movie was better. I didn't read further in the series because I didn't want to get into another serial situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to read series once they're all out. I hate waiting mainly because I forget everything that happened!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the book recommendations. Cut and Run sounds like my kind of read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't stand Ransom Rigg's wife! The least talented idiot I ever had to translate in my life. I still feel offended for not only working on her offensively bad books but for knowing they even exist :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read his wife's books, only his.

      Delete
  11. It's good that you've been able to get more reading in lately. I probably read entirely too much. Always have, but I don't reckon I'll change unless my vision forces me stop. Until then? More, more, more! faster, faster, faster... :) (And then, I suppose there's always audio books...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helped I was on vaca. I can read a lot of books when I have time!

      Delete
  12. It's been so hot and humid in Florida. I miss Maine desperately. Hope you had a nice visit with your mom, despite the rain and humidity. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maine is awesome in the summer. More so when it isn't raining practically every day. Which it has been.

      Delete
  13. We have Bromancias too....
    They grow well in our backyard...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've read a couple of those but you've caught my interested on a couple others. Thanks. And lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I live a little north of Florida and it seems that summer started in April... I want to go to Maine! I haven’t read any of these books but like the title “THeir Eyes Were Watching God”

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how the title related to the subject, but it was an excellent portrayal of black life in the early 1900s.

      Delete
  16. You've been reading more than I have! Beautiful flowers. And I love your attitude toward the neighbors. I'm reminded of a stark true-crime show called "Fear Thy Neighbor". It really puts things into perspective. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be easy to vilify the neighbors for the profanity and the barking dogs but I've heard so may awful stories about bad neighbors that really, in the grand scheme of things, our neighbors are fine.

      Delete
  17. awesome article.
    thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a nice little clutch of books.

    I've never read Their Eyes Were Watching God. I feel I should.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bonsai Follower - Kumpulan situs yang akan memberikan review untuk game yang terbaik dan terpercaya di Indonesia.
    Permainan yang disediakan beragam jenis dengan kemenangan terbesar
    Kunjungi Langusung di bawah ini
    Aduq Online
    Taruhan Bola

    ReplyDelete

If you're interested in my blog I'm interested in your comments.