Pages

Wednesday, August 5, 2020

IWSG - August Edition


Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!


August 5 question - Quote: "Although I have written a short story collection, the form found me and not the other way around. Don't write short stories, novels or poems. Just write your truth and your stories will mold into the shapes they need to be."
Have you ever written a piece that became a form, or even a genre, you hadn't planned on writing in? Or do you choose a form/genre in advance?

The awesome co-hosts for the August 5 posting of the IWSG are Susan Baury Rouchard, Nancy Gideon, Jennifer Lane, Jennifer Hawes, Chemist Ken, and Chrys Fey!


In answer to the question of the month, I feel like the idea chooses the form and genre. For example, for the longest time I always wrote from the third person pov, and one of my earliest works is a bloated fantasy that's third person omniscient. But then along came a story that wanted be written in the first person pov. Or the scifi when I almost always write something under the fantasy heading. I never expected to write a scifi novel, much as I love them, but then the idea came and it had to be scifi. There was no question. So for me, the idea chooses and I try to write the story.

In other news, we had some sweltering hot weather at the beginning of the week, and it's been as dry as a bone pretty much the whole month. Rain is on the way but not until next Tuesday... I admit I almost wanted to insert a winter's day it was so hot, and that is very unlike me.

As for books, I just finished reading The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruis Zafon, which I recommend to anyone who appreciates books, authors, secret libraries, and gorgeous descriptions of Barcelona.




"The time is the 1950s; the place, Barcelona. Daniel Sempere, the son of a widowed bookstore owner, is 10 when he discovers a novel, The Shadow of the Wind, by Julián Carax. The novel is rare, the author obscure, and rumors tell of a horribly disfigured man who has been burning every copy he can find of Carax's novels." 

 

I also recently ordered this, which I couldn't resist. Who doesn't like an orphanage story?!


I've finally finished Dark, a German series on Netflix I adored (and if you like twisty time travel, I highly recommend the series. I watched it with subtitles because I generally can't stand dubbing), and I just watched the first two episodes of The Umbrella Academy. I'm already sad there's only ten episodes.

What have you been reading, watching, doing? Something fun I hope.


31 comments:

  1. Zafon is quite popular in my country as well!I'm currently reading Pushkin's short stories, I've always loved his work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see Shadow of the Wind made into a movie!

      Delete
  2. Cool you are into science fiction now.
    You didn't get anything from the hurricane?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been into scifi! BSG! SG1!
      And nothing from hurricane besides a small amount of rain and breezy. We could've done with more rain.

      Delete
  3. I was wondering the same thing as Alex about the hurricane. I have friends who are along the coast in Maine and showed photos of wind and rain. I agree that the subject should be inform the genre.

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very boring hurricane - not that I wanted anything big and damaging, but rain yes!

      Delete
  4. My significant other is currently working his way through Dark. He really loves it.

    Most of my writing is 3rd person limited, but for some reason most of my NaNo projects demand to be in first person present. Even if I try another POV/VT combo, I won't get anywhere until I switch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do think the story chooses us. I am reworking an old one now, the first novel I ever tried to write...all while hoping another story comes. I’m raising my hand here. “Pick me! Pick me!”

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great point about the idea choosing the genre, POV, etc... And OMGosh! DARK! I know, right? I haven't finished the third season, but I started it. Kind of messes with your brain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally messes with your brain, and you have to pay attention! I ripped through season 2 and 3. Now I'm sad it's over.

      Delete
  7. Great point - the idea is probably behind all of the choices after that.
    I've actually watched less TV recently - my concentration for it is shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been watching waaaay too much tv :(

      Delete
  8. That's awesome that you write from different POV and genres.

    Dark is on my wish list. I'll watch it next. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love to hear what you think of Dark!

      Delete
  9. I'd love to watch the Umbrella Academy. I really need to subscribe to Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's so good and my sister who mostly liked season 1 absolutely loves season 2 so far.

      Delete
  10. Love hearing that the idea dictates the genre.
    And am definitely intrigued by your reading.
    I have just finished 'Any Ordinary Day' by Leigh Sales. Non fiction, based on what happens after a simple day become extraordinarily dreadful, and where resilience comes from. One term raised in it 'Post Traumatic Growth' still has me thinking...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love books that keep me thinking long after I've finished reading.

      Delete
  11. I tend to agree that the story idea dictates the genre and format. I'm a plotter, so I always have an idea before sitting down to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a plotter to start, but I always have the idea and a vague map of the direction the story will take. Sometimes too vague...

      Delete
  12. Are you the one that told me about Travelers? I'm not sure whether to thank you or to curse you. Thank you. Really. I'm in the middle of season 2, should have the whole thing watched in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was me, and you're welcome or I'm sorry - take your pick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good thoughts on this question. Me, I was grabbed by one genre, dragged away from the one I had been writing, and it has yet to let go. Someday...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your answer to the question. LOL, it was hot but not enough to wish for winter. The Umbrella Academy has two seasons and the second one is even better than the first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first two episodes were pretty awesome. Can't wait to watch the rest :)

      Delete
  16. Thank you for sharing. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I appreciate your thoughts and opinions. ~hugs~ My husband can't stand subtitles. Unfortunately, he's half deaf. Heh... We deal with it. Meanwhile, my days revolve around canning pickles and tomatoes. And the hot peppers are only starting to ripen, so we'll be canning and/or dehydrating lots of those, as well. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I tend to prefer subtitles over dubbing, as well, unless I want to be able to do something else while I watch it. It also depends upon the type of show/movie.

    ReplyDelete

If you're interested in my blog I'm interested in your comments.