Pages

Monday, September 28, 2020

Books and underwear

First the books I have to tell you about, both MG (yes, I read all over the place):

If you like ghosts and hauntings and all the contraptions needed for avoiding them, this is the book for you: Eleanor, Alice, and the Roosevelt Ghosts by Dianne K. Salerni. Here you will find Eleanor Roosevelt as a young girl, living with her cheap-ass grandmother and a ghost that climbs the stairs every day at the same time. This ghost is not to be feared, however, because as he's an 'unaware.' Unaware ghosts do not understand that they are dead and generally don't interact with the living. Friendly ghosts interact with the living in harmless ways. And then there are vengeful ghosts...

Needless to say that is exactly the kind of ghost that erupts at Eleanor's aunt's house where Alice has come to visit, and soon the two girls, at odds to start, will have to join forces before the ghost does more than stack chairs on the dining room table.

I LOVED this book and all the ghostly things in it, like the Manhattan Ghost Diagnostics Guild, The New York Supernatural Registry, the different types of ghosts, and the ghostly advertisements, like for the Edison Lamp: Get out fast and get out safely!


In A Wizards Guide to Defensive Baking by T. Kingfisher a young wizard named Mona has only the power of sourdough. And yet, she manages to save an entire city. How does she do it? Well, you'll have to read to find out but I will say it involves gingerbread men, a thief, and Bob (the immense blob of sourdough Mona keeps in the basement. And fyi, Bob is in the basement for a good reason...). I adored this book so much! I loved Mona and her sassy attitude and her love of baking. Bob was pretty cool, too :) 

 

Now to discuss (briefly, pun intended) Underwear. Most of us wear them but I'd be willing to wager that I'm not the only one who has a hard time finding a decent pair of underwear. Here's what I want: bikini style, fun colors or patterns, 100% cotton, and NO RIDE UP!!! Is that really so hard?

Last but not least, Wednesday Art -

 

A bookmark that took a rather long time. I used pen (micron black .005) , white Gelly Roll, watercolor, and colored pencil. It measures approximately 2.5" x 6" - I'm guessing but it's basically bookmark size, maybe a little shorter and wider. Anyway. It took so long because I had to plot out the spaces evenly, which required a ruler and lots of measuring. Nevertheless, I'm pretty happy with the way it came out and am thinking of doing a larger version to matte and frame. Wednesday is art day so we'll see...

 

Have a happy week with as little stress as possible.

21 comments:

  1. I'm thrilled that Dianne has a new book out... and it sounds super. I don't usually read MG books, but I may have to make an exception. :)

    Good luck in your search for decent undies. Surely, they exist... somewhere. They're probably hiding out in an undisclosed location with all the comfortable bras. And the unicorns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!

      And I highly recommend Dianne's new book. It's super fun.

      Delete
  2. Bookmark looks great.
    Dianne is an awesome storyteller. Cool she has a new book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Dianne's new book, and the ghosts!
      Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the way it came out, especially since it started as a doodle!

      Delete
  3. I've been seeing the Eleanor and Alice book around. Haven't read it yet, but I love the concept.

    The bookmark is absolutely beautiful.

    And best of luck with the underwear search. It really shouldn't be that hard, but somehow it always is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that title. Defensive baking? Brilliant.

    The bookmark is gorgeous. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lust after both of the books you have featured. I refuse to be contrained by genre or targeted age group.
    And a big yes on the underwear front. I have found undies which meet my requirements. And of course they quickly went out of production.
    Love your bookmark too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! You find undies that work, and then they change them, put spandex in them and elastics that don't stay! Very frustrating. And I highly recommend both books.

      Delete
  6. No ride up? Good luck. If you find any, please let me know. It's an interesting idea to have a ghost after Eleanor in her grandmother's house. I remember reading that when she was a girl, she had to keep her door locked because of her drunken uncles who came around. No wonder she was thrilled to go away to school.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her grandmother wasn't very encouraging :(

      Delete
    2. She had a terrible childhood.

      Delete
  7. Wizard's Guide has the most delightful title ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely one of the funnest books I've read this year.

      Delete
  8. I'm excited that Diane has a new book out. And love yur bookmark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her new book is awesome and thank you!

      Delete
  9. The Defensive Baking book sounds like a real good time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both of these books sound wonderful and intriguing. I have never dared, but I have a yen to make sourdough bread, so A Wizard's Guide...sounds especially fun. Love your bookmark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved both books a ton and thank you :)

      Delete

If you're interested in my blog I'm interested in your comments.