Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sunday Pics

A few years back I went to Boston for the weekend to visit my sister and do a little research for the book I was writing, Almost Paradise. Here are a few pictures I took while walking around the Commons and Beacon Hill...







This is where I imagined Alanna lived for a short while with her son.



I loved the way the area still felt like it was old. If not for the cars I might have imagined myself back a hundred years or more. We took a tour, too, of one of the old houses, and while I didn't take any pictures I can still see how tall the ceilings were, the sweep of the staircase, and all the little architectural details that one seldom sees these days, like special mouldings, plaster ceilings, carved wood, wallpaper, etc. Houses today are so plain in comparison.

5 comments:

  1. Ever since Cheers, I always wanted to go to Boston!!!

    These houses remind me of bits of West London!! Excellent!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore Boston. It's kind of funny, I live less than an hour from that great city, so we always did our school shopping there and of course field trips to the Museum of Science or the Aquarium or whatever. When I was fifteen, though, my parents decided to take a vacation in Boston for a week. My sister and I were, like, "We go to Boston ALL THE TIME ... what's the point of going for a vacation?" It was different, though, because it was like total immersion. Beantown is definitely one of the coolest cities in the world : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore buildings with interesting architecture they certainly ahve more character. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the old buildings. I with they still built them like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah, I love the detailing in old architecture. It's a shame we don't see it anymore in new builds.

    ReplyDelete

If you're interested in my blog I'm interested in your comments.