Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

Am I the only one

who talks to herself while attending to a mundane chore? Silently of course, but it's definitely a two way conversation between me and ...well, I guess the other me. We argue sometimes. This time I was making a proposal. I said, ok, if we don't accomplish our goal in 3 years then we'll quit, right? And I couldn't help but snort as I dumped clean litter into the pans. As if! I'll never quit! Like I was a loser for even suggesting such a thing.

Other times we simply discuss things, especially in regard to writing. I'll say, ok, right here insert some emotion for this poor character: she's dying to feel something. And then the other me will go ahead and do it:


"Sometimes she could still see a shadow of it, the thing that had stood there unnoticed, waiting for the moment when Dell would walk by. It must’ve known, Lucy thought now. It must’ve been studying his habits to know when to strike: in the midst of rush hour at the station where no one saw what happened. Except her, of course."

It's fun working with yourself :)

so fess up...am I the only one who talks to herself? Or are you going to claim complete sanity?




12 comments:

  1. I talk to myself CONSTANTLY. It's a big joke in my family, and even my co-workers are getting used to catching me at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I talk to myself all the time. My kids sometimes over hear me and ask who I'm talking to. So embarrassing. I always thought I was crazy. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. Sometimes I forget I'm out in public. Muttering to myself. Pretty awesome picture I'm painting. I'm not CRAZY--I'm a writer--I want to say. But then again--how thin is that particular line I've drawn?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make no claims to being normal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. all the time

    i'll be the scary old lady down the street who talks to herself out loud some day =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do this all the time. My biggest worry is that I'm doing it out loud in public without realizing it. Just waiting for them to shuffle me off to a home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think to myself A LOT. But it's rare that I actually talk to myself unless I'm REALLY mad about something. But then I'm mainly bitching at the person or thing that made me mad, they just aren't around to hear it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nope, I talk to myself quite regularly. It only causes a problem when, on the rare occasion, I snap back at myself out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know I talk to myself all the time - especially in public without realising. The only way I know this is when I catch people staring at me funnily. Then I realise why. :-)

    Yay for keeping oneself company! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are not alone. I talk to myself just to place my own thoughts into perspective. I answer myself and hold perfectly fun conversations with myself. It's the failsafe of an overactive imagination. Keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete

If you're interested in my blog I'm interested in your comments.