Pages

Friday, August 25, 2017

The Cephalopod Coffeehouse - The Lies of Locke Lamora

Welcome to another edition of the Cephalopod Coffeehouse, brought to you by The Armchair Squid. The idea is simple: on the last Friday of each month, post about the best book you've finished over the past month while visiting other bloggers doing the same. In this way, we'll all have the opportunity to share our thoughts with other enthusiastic readers.  Please join us:

https://armchairsquid.blogspot.com/2017/07/the-cephalopod-coffeehouse-august-2017.html

This month I'm going to talk about a book I mentioned before as being in the unfinished category for much too long: The Lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch.


  The problem was not with the writing or the characters or the plot. The problem was that the author had drawn me in so well and made me care so much about the main character, Locke Lamora, and his Gentlemen Bastards (translated, fellow thieves), that I was afraid for him and them because I had reached a point where I knew something terrible was going to happen. Things had been going far too well for Locke (if one can say such a thing about an orphan who is saved from death by a thief pretending to be a priest), and I happen to know that there is often a direct correlation between how well things are going to how bad they're going to get.

So. I had to stop reading for a bit. But after writing about the fact that the book remained unfinished I decided to pick it up again. And there I was, back in Camorr (a place drawn exquisitely, I might add) with Locke, who's about to pull off a very sweet and massive heist. I so wanted Locke and his mates to get what they were after.

I'm not going to tell you whether they do or don't or anything else except that I really loved this book and Locke, who's such a clever little bastard and yet so likeable. No mean trick.

I highly recommend this book for anyone who likes fantasy or just a good heist story.





26 comments:

  1. When that one came out, it was my favorite book of the year. My first Scott Lynch book and certainly not the last. Excellent fantasy story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally enjoyed it :) Did you like the other two books in the series?

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a fun read. I like heist stories and love fantasy. May check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this an adult read or a kid read? I can't gauge the age of the protagonist...
    Sounds interesting, and I'm wondering if it will be come a bedtime book for my kiddos. They love adventure stories!
    Thanks for sharing,
    V :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say teen to adult. Lots of profanity and violence.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like an enjoyable read. I have several books that I could write about this month, wonder if I can get them written up before the day is over?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, sounds like a good one since you and Alex liked it so much. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh. You have definitely fuelled my bookie lust.
    My 'best' book of the month would have to be A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. I liked it so much I went out and bought another two novels he had written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check that out. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Okay, I'll add it to the ever-growing TBR pile...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, this does sound like an excellent read. Thank you! I'm reading a sci fi story by a local friend and am really enjoying "After Terra Year 200". Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, I just bought the Kindle edition. ~grin~ Thanks again for sharing.

      Delete
  9. Sounds compelling! I've stopped reading when I'm too worried about the characters too - stopped writing as well when I knew things were going badly :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds interesting. I'm checking it out from my library.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! I get like that too with reading. It sounds fantastic. It's on my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be curious to hear if you like it as much as I did.

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! One always hopes to be drawn into a story with that level of investment but I can see how it might generate its own stress.

    So sorry to see you got spammed by the same folks who got me...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes I get too involved.

    ReplyDelete

If you're interested in my blog I'm interested in your comments.