Pages

Friday, November 24, 2017

The Cephalopod Coffeehouse - NOS4A2

Welcome to another edition of the Cephalopod Coffeehouse. The idea is simple: on the last Friday of each month, post about the best book you've finished over the past month while visiting other bloggers doing the same.  In this way, we'll all have the opportunity to share our thoughts with other enthusiastic readers.  Please join us:

https://armchairsquid.blogspot.com/2017/10/the-cephalopod-coffeehouse-november.html

Sadly, I failed this month to finish the book I started. However, I'm still going to tell you something about it. The book is NOS4A2 by Joe Hill.



This is the second book by Joe Hill I've (almost) read. The first was Horns, which I enjoyed. I'm about half way through this one, which I have to say is very Stephen Kingish. Not that Joe doesn't have his own style but there's definitely a similarity between the work of father and son.

NOS4A2 starts off with an interesting premise. What if your bicycle could help you find things, no matter where they were? For Vic McQueen, her Raleigh Tuff Burner bike does just that. For Charles Manx it's his 1938 Rolls Royce Wraith. But while Vic likes to find things, Manx likes to take things, namely children, who he brings to "Christmasland," via his Rolls Royce.

Since I haven't finsihed the book, I can't offer up a complete review. For all I know the ending will suck and a sucky ending can ruin a book. But as it stands, I'm very much enjoying the book and looking forward to Vic and Charles' next meeting, which should be soon since things are just starting to get better for Vic, and you know that's when things are about to take an unpleasant turn for the worse.

Have you read this book or any others by Joe Hill? Did you know he was Stephen King's son?




22 comments:

  1. I didn't even know Stephen King HAS a son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has two sons, Joe and Owen, as well as a daughter Naomi.

      Delete
  2. This sounds cool. I knew he had a son, but I didn't know his name. Great preview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He goes by Hill instead of King. I think Hill is his middle name.

      Delete
  3. I have heard of him (mainly because my mind immediately linked him to the Joe Hill of the Wooblies who was executed by Utah in 1914-and probably innocent but convicted because of his radicalism in 1914). I had no idea he was King's son, but am curious about the name he chose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe Hill is his middle name and he decided to go by that.

      Delete
  4. It's funny that you say you don't like graphic novels because Joe Hill is an award-winning comic book writer. I have only read the first book of his Locke & Key series but it is excellent, and definitely not my usual genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that in the back of the book.

      Delete
  5. It is a fascinating premise. I didn't know that Stephen King had a son who was also a writer. Not really a King fan though. I can (and do) appreciate his skill but don't spend a lot of time in the horror genre. Life is horror enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a Stephen King fan but I don't like all horror.

      Delete
  6. No, I've never read and books by this author, and I didn't know it was Stephen King's son. I guess writing chops must run in that family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so as I read King's son Owen is also a writer.

      Delete
  7. Joe King :-) That always amused me. I love Stephen King books, so I would definitely give this a whirl. Also, Marcy, I am thankful to find I'm not the only one who didn't finish their book this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I did actually finish it late this morning finally, and it was good and satisfying :)

      Delete
  8. Sounds like an interesting one. I'm not a huge fan of suspense thrillers, so I'm not sure it'll pick it up, but I'll pass on the recommendation!
    V of V's Reads ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. It was a page turner, I'll say that.

      Delete
  9. Oooh, interesting. Yes, I did know Joe Hill was Stephen King's son. He has another writer son, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he does, though I haven't seen any books by him.

      Delete
  10. I read "Heart Shaped Box" years ago, curious knowing him to be Mr. King's son. While well written, it hasn't prompted a reread. I hope you get a chance to finish this one and find it good to the end. Of late I'm too busy writing to read much. I am enjoying a biography by the band Pantera's bass player. It's the sort of thing perfect for short reading periods. ~grin~ Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did finish it and I did enjoy it, probably more than I did Horns. I am still thinking about Christmasland...

      Delete
  11. It makes more sense why the book should be "King-esque" if this guy is his son. It'd be hard to not be influenced by a dad like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree. I mean, it's not like he didn't read a lot of his dad's work before it got published so...Nevertheless, I did really like NOS4A2, and I would probably read something else of his.

    ReplyDelete

If you're interested in my blog I'm interested in your comments.