Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Bruno, Birds, and Books

I've been a sick little person lately, which is only a partial excuse for my absence (really, one post in a whole month? What a slacker!), but that's all I've got for now, except for some pics and some thoughts on the books I've read.

First, Bruno, who can no longer sit in the chair with me because he's too big - but still effing cute as hell. He's trying, unsuccessfully, to squeeze himself into the cat bed.




Second, birds, courtesy of my son the birder...

A Mallard and a Northern Pintail - no idea which is which

A patchy Goldfinch. He'll look spectacular in a month or so

A 'Timberdoodle' aka Woodcock.

The Barred Owl who likes to hang out at my son's place


And third, the books I've read:

Image result for spare and found parts
Spare and Found Parts by Sarah Maria Griffin



Tell the Machine Goodnight by Katie Williams






The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman


A Symphony of Echoes by Jodi Taylor



 I am not going to say much about the first two because I didn't love them enough to do them justice, but someone else might. I totally loved The Grimm Legacy, even though the writing wasn't perfect and it did contain that annoying bit books have where if people would just be honest a lot of problems could be averted. But it was still a wicked fun read. Finally, A Symphony of Echoes, the second book in the Chronicles of St. Mary's concerning time traveling historians, is just as much fun as the first. I'm not quite done with it but I plan on working my way through this entire series. The writing is snappy, there's seldom a dull moment, and the mc is awesome.

On the home front, I've seen crocuses, and the Red-winged Blackbirds are back whose song I adore, but it's still cold and there's snow and I'm very, very tired of it. On the positive side, 43K words into The Train to Somewhere, my current wip, a speculative tale in the vein of Station Elevan. I have also made the decision in Skyrim to join the Dark Brotherhood. My reason is this, sure, I can go back in time because you can do that in games, but in real life you have to live with the decisions you make, even when your motives were good. It will be interesting to see where this leads, because in Oblivion, the dark Brotherhood Quest was pretty awesome.

Oh! And my Average Game Score in Scrabble (on FB) is up to 376. NTS









34 comments:

  1. That whole not telling the truth thing bugs me in fiction, too. So, it's become a challenge to me to not do that in my own writing (when I write, which hasn't been at all lately).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. The only time that's okay is if it's totally in character. But I will forgive certain no-nos if the rest of the story is fun enough.

      Delete
  2. That owl is winking at you!
    Sorry you've been so sick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, being sick sucks the life right out of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you feel better.

    Our goldfinches haven't started to regain their color yet but my finch feeder is getting a lot of use so I'll be treated to some beautiful color in a month or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to hear them singing. I love their happy song!

      Delete
  5. Sorry you've been under the weather, (Enough snow, already!) but on the bright side, just look at Bruno the Great! Seeing him on the cat bed has to make you smile. Makes ME wish I had a dog again...

    That timberdoodle is adorable. Then again, with a cute name like that, how can he NOT be?

    Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that timberdoodle was another name for an American Woodcock. Ah the things you learn when your son is a birder :)

      Delete
  6. What does the cat say about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cat is not impressed, but Bruno doesn't bother him or chase him. Plus, kitty gets the bed during the day when I'm at work.

      Delete
  7. We had the flu earlier this month and it was hideous! Thankfully down to head colds now! Hope you're improving daily!
    Love the pics. Our snow continues to lurk although it's been melting over the past week, bringing us hope that spring may actually show up some day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we still have snow but lots of bare ground, too. I am so looking forward to green!

      Delete
  8. Hello from Idaho and stop in from "Law of Gravity" your owl photo made me smile.
    If you have time stop in for a cup of coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Son took all the bird pics and that owl has been visiting his house for a few months now, along with a host of other birds that visit his many feeders.

      Delete
  9. Glad to hear you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been playing Scrabble with a friend, and she kicks my butt every game. I've only managed to win once (and only by one point). Her average score is somewhere around yours. My average score is usually in the 200s.

    That shot of the owl is fantastic.

    Hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a total scrabble addict. My son really does get some great pics. I tell him to send them all to me so I'll have something to talk about, lol.

      Delete
  11. I hope you start to feel better soon, now that Spring is here! And my, isn't Bruno getting to be a big boy! Your reading roster is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think my reading roster is subpar. That's only 5 books in almost 4 months! Plus...my list! It's just getting longer by the day! I can't wait to retire so I can read more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can tell you the mallard is left of the pintail. ~grin~ Beautiful birds, all. And I like red-winged blackbirds, too. They don't hang out by my home, but are a visual treat perched along country fence lines. Sweet doggie photo, too. Heh... Feel better, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, someone who knows their birds! I am feeling better, thank you :)

      Delete
  14. The mallard's the one on the left.

    Amazing owl shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Darla pointed that out to me as well. That owl keeps coming around my son's yard, resulting in lots of owl pics!

      Delete
    2. The markings on the owl and the markings on the branch offset each other beautifully.

      Delete
  15. We're so happy to have the birds back here too. I'm ready for spring. I expect some daffodils by next week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't had much luck so far this year with books I've read - I haven't loved most of them. Maybe that's why I'm so behind on my goal! I have had to slog through most of the reads to date.

    ReplyDelete
  17. owl always my favorite....nice photos.
    have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry you haven't been feeling well. Loved your pictures. And awesome how far you've gotten in your current manuscript.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Marcy, I don't think you're a slacker at all! One post a month is about all I do anymore. And you read so much! One or two books a month is all I can manage these days. Love your photos, especially the owl, and I'm so sorry you've been sick. Hope you're better by now!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I should probably keep track of the birds and animals I see. Being in a whole new part of the world, I'll bet I could build a pretty impressive list.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bruno looks adorable! I understand about big dogs growing so large they can't sit with you anymore. We adopted a German Shepherd puppy in November. She's a super cuddler, but she's grown so big she knocks the wind out of me when she tries to sit on me. LOL

    PS: I hope you're feeling better now. There's been a lot of sickness going around.

    ReplyDelete

If you're interested in my blog I'm interested in your comments.