Pages

Monday, April 6, 2020

The Vine Witch

First, for your cuteness, because we need all the cute we can get these days!



Today the sun is shining, the skies are blue, the birds are singing and going about their normal routine, finding a good place to nest, finding a mate, and settling down for the season.
Bruno and I had a nice walk up to the cemetery and back.

approx. 200 red-winged blackbirds

I took this pic the other grey day. I heard them first, all singing, and there they were, my favorites the red-winged blackbirds. Not much to look at in this pic, except the shear number of them, but they sure sounded pretty outside my window.

 

Meanwhile, most of us are either stuck at home, or we still have jobs where we’re needed. I’ll be honest and say I’m glad I’m in the former category, but neither is it a picnic, although I definitely have it easier than many. No kids, no remote job, just this forced hibernation while I wait it out and then hopefully go back to my old job. You’d think I’d be getting all kinds of writing done, right?


 Yeah, that’s not what’s happening here. I am getting some writing done, but I find it hard to concentrate for any long length of time. I stare at the screen. My mind just floats away somewhere until it comes back. So. Not a lot of writing, but I’m also not beating myself up over it. Right now, I think everyone trying as much as they can.


In better news, I did finish reading  The Vine Witch by Luanne G. Smith, which I absolutely loved and highly recommend.



The story begins when the vine witch, Elena, emerges from a curse only to find that her beloved vineyard, Château Renard, has been cursed as well. It hasn’t produced a decent vintage in the seven years since she’s been gone. Worse yet, it’s being run by a man who doesn’t believe in magic or vine witches, or anything of the sort. He believes in science, not superstition. And then there’s the little matter of the identity of the person who cursed her. Because Elena has every intention of having her revenge.


I loved Elena and learning about her particular gift. I loved the magic she used to help the grapes. I adored all the supporting characters, especially a sassy fellow witch she meets toward the end. This book is a magical feast, or should I say a magical bottle of Château Renard.

Highly recommended!


                                               ***


And for those following the grim news
Maine Covid-19 stats:

Current cases: 499 (there were 253 as of the 1st)
Current deaths:10 (thankfully this hasn't changed in a few days)



21 comments:

  1. You know, I've said this more than once on social and in real life. I've no use for beating myself up, language. It doesn't serve my goals and I find it a waste of energy and time. When you want to write. You'll write. When you decide you will focus, you'll focus. PS: Super cute pup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I know I could work harder, ignore the distractions. But I'm cutting myself some slack.

      Bruno is indeed adorable :)

      Delete
    2. I am all for cutting ourselves slack but I'm not for the beating up-speak. Saw your snow from the other post. Burrrr.

      Delete
  2. That doggy looks so relaxed. I wish I could do that in a chair. Does he watch DogTV?

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does not watch tv, but he does watch out the window.

      Delete
  3. Love the cuteness and the beauty you gave us.
    How I would love to be able to relax as well as a dog or a cat.
    Thank you for the book recommendation. I will track it down.
    Have you come across The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern? She wrote The Night Circus - which I loved and this one is also a gem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read The Starless Sea but I loved The Night Circus. Loved.

      Delete
  4. That is cute.
    Anne R. Allen posted an article yesterday that writers are experiencing a universal grief, which is why we can't write. I think she's correct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check that out. I think she's right, too.

      Delete
  5. Considering the state of the world, it's amazing that we get anything done. Anxiety is great at wiping away our ability to focus. So, take care. Glad to hear you're at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, anxiety is definitely Creativity's buzzkill

      Delete
  6. Glad you and Bruno are enjoying walking. My dog and I are too. I live alone but am working part-time remotely at my contract writing job. I'm not getting my own writing done either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're all having trouble *sigh* Glad you're at home!

      Delete
  7. Your dog is adorable! I hope you find some motivation to getting some writing done--I can say the same for me.

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am getting some writing done, it just seems like I could do more. And yes, Bruno is super adorable. He gets kissed a lot.

      Delete
  8. Yes, lack of focus seems to be affecting pretty much everyone these days, me included.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know I'm not alone. I do appreciate your funnies!

      Delete
  9. I wonder if drinking wine was included while Luanne was writing the book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect yes :) It was a wonderful book and I'm looking forward to the sequel.

      Delete
    2. Okay, that made me giggle. And red-winged blackbirds are awesome! Seems like a country drive is in order, where I can see them surveying their territory from fence posts. Maybe a cemetery walk, too, another thing I've enjoyed as long as I can recall. :) I hope your garden centers are open, and that you stay safe, sane, sheltered, and supplied.

      Delete
    3. you, too! And cemeteries are a great place to bird!

      Delete

If you're interested in my blog I'm interested in your comments.